Cleaning a Ruger Mark IV is a simple process that can be done in a few minutes. You will need a few tools and supplies to get the job done but it is not a difficult task. Here are the steps you need to follow to clean your Ruger Mark IV.
Tools and Materials Needed?
Assuming you would like an answer on how to clean a Ruger Mark IV:
- Ruger Mark IV
- Cleaning rod and patches
- Cotton swabs
- Gun oil
1) First, make sure the Ruger Mark IV is unloaded. Remove the magazine and open the action, visually inspecting the chamber to ensure it is empty.
2) Next, attach the cleaning rod to the Ruger Mark IV. Be sure to use the correct size cleaning rod for the caliber of the Ruger Mark IV.
3) Using a patch, apply gun oil to the cleaning rod and insert the rod into the chamber. Slowly run the rod through the barrel a few times.
4) Remove the rod from the chamber and inspect the patch. If it is heavily soiled, replace it with a clean patch. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the patch comes out clean.
5) To clean the outside of the Ruger Mark IV, use a rag dampened with gun oil. Wipe down the entire firearm, paying special attention to the muzzle and breech.
6) Finally, use a cotton swab to clean the trigger assembly and magazine well. Apply a light coat of gun oil to all moving parts.
How to Disassemble the Ruger Mark IV?
Assuming you would like a detailed answer on how to disassemble the Ruger Mark IV:
- Make sure the gun is unloaded. Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine release and pull the magazine out.
- Cock the gun and rotate the takedown lever (located on the left side of the gun just above the trigger guard) clockwise until it lines up with the disassembly notch in the slide.
- Pull the trigger and hold it while you push the takedown lever down and then release the trigger.
- The slide, barrel and recoil spring can now be removed from the frame.
- Take the barrel out of the slide.
- Depress the recoil spring plug (located at the front of the barrel) and remove the recoil spring and guide rod.
- The breech face can now be cleaned.
- Reassemble the gun in the reverse order.
How to Clean the Ruger Mark IV?
Field strip the gun according to the instruction manual. This will involve removing the magazine, locking back the slide, and then rotating the takedown lever until it is in the appropriate position.
Once the gun is field stripped, you will need to clean the bore. The easiest way to do this is to use a bore snake. Run the bore snake through the bore a few times, making sure to get all the way to the back.
Once the bore is clean, you can move on to cleaning the rest of the gun. Use a cleaning cloth and some gun oil to wipe down all the metal parts of the gun. Be sure to pay special attention to the areas around the breech and the muzzle, as these can be prone to buildup.
Once all the metal parts are clean, you can move on to the polymer parts. Use a damp cloth to wipe down the grips and the frame. Be sure to get into all the nooks and crannies, as dirt and grime can build up in these areas.
Once everything is clean, you can reassemble the gun and enjoy shooting it again.
How to Reassemble the Ruger Mark IV?
- Start by attaching the barrel to the receiver. Make sure the indexing pin on the bottom of the barrel is lined up with the slot in the receiver.
- Next, insert the bolt stop pin in the top of the receiver.
- On the bottom of the receiver, insert the magazine release.
- Install the magazine catch spring and screw.
- Place the grip frame assembly into the receiver.
- Push in the safety detent located in the top of the receiver.
- While holding down the safety detent, insert the safety catch.
- Release the safety detent and rotate the safety catch to the “safe” position.
- Insert the trigger guard assembly into the receiver.
- Push down on the trigger guard until it snaps into place.
Step-by-Step Cleaning Instructions?
- First, disassemble your Ruger Mark IV by removing the magazine and clearing the chamber.
- Next, using a cleaning rod and patch, clean the bore of your Ruger Mark IV from the chamber end.
- Once the bore is clean, apply a liberal amount of gun oil or lubricant to a clean patch and run it through the bore.
- Finally, reassemble your Ruger Mark IV and apply a light coat of gun oil or lubricant to the outside of the gun.
Proper Storage and Maintenance of Your Ruger Mark IV?
The Ruger Mark IV 22/45 is a great gun to have for plinking and small game hunting. Here are some tips on how to properly store and maintain your Ruger Mark IV 22/45:
Always store your Ruger Mark IV 22/45 in a dry, climate-controlled environment.
Make sure to clean your Ruger Mark IV 22/45 after each use. Clean the bore with a bore brush and cleaning rod after each shooting session. Run a patch through the bore to remove any fouling.
Wipe down the exterior of the gun with a clean, dry cloth after each use. This will remove any dirt, dust, or grime that has accumulated on the gun.
Lubricate the gun regularly. You can use a light gun oil or a silicone-based lubricant. Apply a light coat of lubricant to the moving parts of the gun, such as the trigger assembly, slide, and hammer.
Inspect your Ruger Mark IV 22/45 regularly. Make sure that all the parts are functioning properly and that there are no signs of wear or damage.
If you notice any problems with your gun, take it to a qualified gunsmith for repairs or maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I clean my Ruger Mark IV?
You can clean your Ruger Mark IV by disassembling it and then cleaning the individual parts with a cleaning solvent. You can also use a brush to scrub away any dirt or debris that has built up on the gun.
What kind of solvent should I use to clean my Ruger Mark IV?
You can use any cleaning solvent that is designed for use on firearms. Make sure to read the instructions on the solvent before using it to clean your gun.
How often should I clean my Ruger Mark IV?
You should clean your Ruger Mark IV every time you use it. This will help to keep the gun in good working condition and prevent any dirt or debris from building up on it.
Can I clean my Ruger Mark IV with a brush?
Yes, you can use a brush to scrub away any dirt or debris that has built up on the gun. Just make sure to use a brush that is designed for use on firearms.
What should I do if I have any problems cleaning my Ruger Mark IV?
If you have any problems cleaning your Ruger Mark IV, you can contact the company for assistance.
In order to clean a Ruger Mark IV, you will need to disassemble the gun and then clean all of the parts individually. You will need to pay special attention to the bore and chamber, as these are the areas that are most likely to get dirty. Once you have cleaned all of the parts, you can reassemble the gun and enjoy shooting it again.
A. Wilcox Head is a lifelong shooter, hunter, and firearms enthusiast. Head grew up in a family where firearms were a way of life, and from an early age, he was taught the importance of firearm safety, accuracy, and proper hunting techniques.