You have an AR-15, then you know that the dust cover is an important part of the gun. The dust cover helps to keep the dust and debris out of the action of the gun, and it also helps to keep the gun from malfunctioning. If your dust cover is damaged or broken, then you will need to replace it. Luckily, this is a relatively easy process that anyone can do.
The benefits of replacing your dust cover.
There are several benefits to replacing the dust cover on an AR15. First, it can help to keep the inside of the gun clean. Second, it can improve the gun’s performance by keeping debris out of the action. Third, it can make the gun more reliable by preventing jams. Finally, it can give the gun a new look.
The different types of dust covers available.
There are three main types of dust covers available for AR15s: the standard dust cover, the extended dust cover, and the forward assist dust cover. The standard dust cover is the most basic and affordable option. It covers the basic components of the AR15 and protects them from dust and debris. The extended dust cover is a more expensive option that covers more of the AR15, including the forward assist and charging handle. It is a good option for those who want more protection for their AR15. The forward assist dust cover is the most expensive option and covers the entire AR15, including the forward assist and charging handle. It is a good option for those who want the most protection for their AR15.
How to install a new dust cover?
- Tools needed: T20 Torx driver, T25 Torx driver, 3/32 punch, 3/8 drive ratchet, 3/8 drive extension, and a 1/2 drive torque wrench.
- Start by removing the old dust cover. Use the T20 Torx driver to remove the two screws that hold the dust cover in place.
- Next, use the T25 Torx driver to remove the two screws that hold the forward assist in place.
- With the forward assist removed, you can now remove the old dust cover.
- To install the new dust cover, start by placing it in position.
- Use the T20 Torx driver to install the two screws that hold the dust cover in place.
- Next, use the T25 Torx driver to install the two screws that hold the forward assist in place.
- Finally, use the 3/32 punch to install the retaining pin.
Once the retaining pin is installed, you can now torque the screws to the proper specifications. Use the 3/8 drive ratchet and 3/8 drive extension to torque the screws to 15-20 ft/lbs. Use the 1/2 drive torque wrench to torque the retaining pin to 40-60 ft/lbs.
How to troubleshoot common problems with dust covers?
There are a few things you can do to troubleshoot common problems with dust covers on AR15s:
- Make sure the cover is properly seated. The cover should be flush with the upper receiver. If it is not, try reseating it.
- The cover on your receiver needs to be in good condition in order for it to work properly. If the cover is bent or damaged, it may not seal properly and could allow dust and debris to enter the receiver.
- Make sure the O-ring on the cover is in good condition. The O-ring seals the cover to the receiver and prevents dust and debris from entering.
- Make sure the receiver is clean. If the receiver is dirty, it can cause the cover to not seal properly. Clean the receiver with a mild solvent and a soft brush.
- If you have tried all of these troubleshooting steps and the problem persists, you may need to replace the dust cover.
Tips for maintaining your dust cover.
- Keep your dust cover clean. A dirty dust cover can cause your weapon to malfunction.
- Keep your dust cover closed when not in use. This will protect your weapon from dirt and debris.
- Inspect your dust cover regularly. Look for any cracks or damage.
- If your dust cover is damaged, replace it immediately.
- Store your weapon in a clean, dry place. This will help prevent your dust cover from becoming damaged.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my dust cover needs to be replaced?
If your AR15 is not functioning properly, or if you notice that the dust cover is not closing properly, it may be time to replace the dust cover.
What are the consequences of not replacing a damaged dust cover?
If you don’t replace the dust cover on your AR15, it could damage the rifle’s internal parts. This could lead to expensive repairs or make the rifle unusable.
How do I replace the dust cover on my AR15?
To replace the dust cover on your AR15, first ensure that the rifle is unloaded. Then, remove the old dust cover by unscrewing it from the receiver. Next, screw on the new dust cover, being careful not to over-tighten it.
What kind of problems can I expect if I don’t replace my dust cover properly?
If you don’t replace the dust cover on your AR15 properly, you could experience a number of problems, including misfires, jams, and even catastrophic failure of your rifle.
Where can I get a new dust cover for my AR15?
You can purchase a new dust cover for your AR15 from most gun parts retailers.
Once you have your new dust cover, it’s time to replace the old one. To do this, you will need to remove the charging handle and bolt carrier group from your AR-15. With those out of the way, you will have easy access to the dust cover pin. Simply drive the pin out and the old dust cover will come right off. Put the new dust cover in place and drive the pin back in. That’s all there is to it!